Monday, May 29, 2006

Sixty6

Before I review anywhere let me lay my cards on the table. I am prepared to like restaurants. Open mind, positive attitude. I also like food. These things taken together are probably negatives when it comes to restaurant reviews, where truth be told, you need to be a bit of a dick. The arrival of my son means I go out less, so when I do go out I am more likely to enjoy it. They’re the rules, apologies that I cannot be more objective.

So. On to the review.

Brasserie Sixty6
66-67 South Great Georges Street
Dublin 2.
www.brasseriesixty6.com

I was here for lunch a few weeks ago. The décor (if that’s what interests you) is modern, with a long corridor down the centre with tables each side. If many people are dining the atmosphere would definitely be ‘intimate.’ We got a table in a section off the main corridor, which was very comfortable.

The menu is on the web, and hasn’t changed since I was there (it has just opened, so this isn’t really a criticism), with daily specials.

I had the wordy “Lamb chunks, lemon, garlic, oregano, olive oil with harrisa crème fraiche and pitta bread stuffed with sixty6 coleslaw” to start. This translates as lamb kebab with red cabbage, which was very tasty.

For main I had Crayfish salad with fries, which was nice enough, if not a little unremarkable. The others had sausage and mash, fish and steak, and were all fairly happy with what they got. The portions were decent too, you won’t leave hungry.

Dessert was the disappointment for me. I had “Raspberries, natural yoghurt, honey and pistachio Amaretto crumble,” which was plain yoghurt with crumble on top. I felt doubly cheated when all the other desserts arrived, and were pronounced “delicious.”

Everything was very attractively presented, on skewers, in steel buckets of ice, in glass jars etc., so your sense of style as well as your palate will be catered for, and it is very reasonable averaging €8.50 for a starter and €14.50 for a main.

Would I go back again? Definitely, I’ll just be a little more careful about what I choose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home