Monday, May 29, 2006

The Nuremore Hotel, Carrickmacross

There are some restaurants you keep hearing about. For me, the Nuremore in Carrickmacross was one of these. Maybe it's because many moons ago I washed dishes in the kitchen, or maybe it's just because it gets a lot of reviews. A whole lot.
A new chef, Raymond Macardle won the Georgina Campbell chef of the year award in 2005, and every review I come across tells us that a Michelin star is on it's way.
Maybe he wasn't working that night is all I can guess.
The Nuremore is very much a silver service place. Very formal dining. The menu looked good, I didn't understand half of the words on it, so that was a good start. I went with the pigeon to open. It was nice enough I guess, but there is a good chance that a good vet could have used the parts in a life saving pigeon transplant surgery. Or maybe there is a save the environment thing going on in the kitchen, and not cooking the food is good. Or maybe it's meant to be that way. I don't know. It was ok, and just ok. A bit chewy, not at all the delectable starter I was hoping for.
For the main I had pork, which again was ok. And just ok. Lets face it, I've had better and in much plainer surrounds. This was followed by a sorbet to refresh the taste buds, which was better than the previous courses.
Dessert, at last, the chocolate cake and home made ice cream was perfect, and the coffee was excellent. The wine was good too, I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I did write it down to see if I can get it elsewhere. At only thirty euro for a bottle, it was pretty reasonable.
Overall, the service was excellent, but at forty eight euro a head and a restaurant aiming for a Michelin star, I would have expected better. Would I go back again? I don't think so. Stars? About two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home